Knee - Wear and Fatigue Testing
Questmed GmbH offers lab tests for total knee replacement (TKR) for wear according ISO 14243.
We are also specialised for testing unikondylar knee endoprosthesis and linked knee endoprosthesis.
Wear testing will also performed according ASTM F3141.
As well as we offer tibial tray fatigue testing according ISO 14879-1 and ASTM F1800.
Our knee wear simulator is available with two banks each with three test stations and two load soak stations. Our AMTI knee simulator (ADL-K6-01) replicates the loading and full range of multi-axis motion associated with activities of daily living. The test system provides unparalleled test accuracy through its Virtual Soft Tissue control, which couples force control with a software model that accounts for the constraining influence of the tissue structure surrounding the knee. Our Knee simulator meets the requirements of ISO Standards for "Implants for surgery — Wear of total knee-joint prostheses" - ISO 14243-1:2009, ISO 14243-1:2009/Amd 1:2020, ISO 14243-3:2014, ISO 14243-3:2014/Amd 1:2020 and ASTM "Standard Guide for Total Knee Replacement Loading Profiles" ASTM F3141 - 17a.
In our test lab we also perform the following testing methods:
- ASTM F1223 "Standard Test Method for Determination of Total Knee Replacement Constraint"
- ASTM F1672 "Standard Specification for Resurfacing Patellar Prosthesis"
- ASTM F1800 "Standard Practice for Cyclic Fatigue Testing of Metal Tibial Tray Components of Total Knee Joint Replacements"
- ASTM F1814 "Standard Guide for Evaluating Modular Hip and Knee Joint Components"
- ASTM F2003 "Standard Practice for Accelerated Aging of Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene after Gamma Irradiation in Air"
- ASTM F2083 "Standard Speciﬁcation for Knee Replacement Prosthesis" Total Knee Replacement Contact Pressure
- ASTM F2722 "Standard Practice for Evaluating Mobile Bearing Knee Tibial Baseplate Rotational Stops"
- ASTM F2723 "Standard Test Method for Evaluating Mobile Bearing Knee Tibial Baseplate/Bearing Resistance to Dynamic Disassociation"
- ASTM F2724 "Standard Test Method for Evaluating Mobile Bearing Knee Dislocation"
- ASTM F2777 "Standard Test Method for Evaluating Knee Bearing (Tibial Insert) Endurance and Deformation Under High Flexion" with 2.275 N for 220.000 cycles at 20 degree tibial internal rotation and hihg femoral flexion
- ASTM F3140 "Standard Test Method for Cyclic Fatigue Testing of Metal Tibial Tray Components of Unicondylar Knee Joint Replacements"
- ASTM F3306 "Standard Test Method for Ion Release Evaluation of Medical Implants"
- ASTM WK51649 "Standard Test Method for Fatigue Testing of Total Knee Femoral Components under Closing Conditions" with 90 degree flexion for 5 million cycles with 5Hz
- ISO 7207-1 "Implants for surgery — Components for partial and total knee joint prostheses — Part 1: Classification, definitions and designation of dimensions"
- ISO 5834-3 "Implants for surgery — Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene — Part 3: Accelerated ageing methods"
- ISO 21536 "Non-active surgical implants — Joint replacement implants — Specific requirements for knee-joint replacement implants"
- Fatigue testing of stemmed TKR components